Reducing fatalities and injuries that result from impaired driving requires strong laws and support for implementation of those laws, use of innovative technology, and implementation of education and prevention programs.
Drug Recognition Evaluator
The drug evaluation and classification (DEC) program trains Minnesota law enforcement officers to detect specific drug impairment and remove drug-impaired drivers from the road.
A DWI (Driving While Impaired) Court is an accountability court dedicated to changing the behavior of alcohol and other drug-dependent offenders arrested for driving while impaired.
- Minnesota DWI Courts website (Minnesota Judicial Branch)
e-Charging provides a method for criminal justice stakeholders to accurately and efficiently process information needed to administratively and criminally charge a person with impaired driving.
- e-Charging fact sheet (MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension)
Ignition interlock is an effective tool that reduces re-arrest by an average of 64 percent. Communities are encouraged to support programs that will increase the use of ignition interlock.
- MN Ignition Interlock Device Program (MN Dept. of Public Safety)
Legislation in Minnesota
- Summary of Minnesota's legislation on impaired driving (MN Office of Traffic Safety)
- Summary of Minnesota Highway Safety Laws (GHSA)
- Days in the Life of a Misdemeanor DUI (Brainerd Lakes TZD, 2020)
- Reports and statistics (MN Office of Traffic Safety)
- Comprehensive Annual Impaired Driving Data Reports (MN Office of Traffic Safety)
- Buzzed Driving (AAA, MDH, and MN Safety Council, 2015)
Safe Ride Programs
Alternative transportation programs are not available in all communities, so communities are encouraged to promote the development of these programs and the concept of planning for a safe ride home.